Find the Help You Need!


Google
 

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Old Favorite Antivirus

I've tried a lot of antivirus programs over the years. I've tried Norton, McAfee, Antivir, Avast, AVG, Clamwin, and Comodo. But there's one that's on top right now: Grisoft's AVG (free), and I'll tell you why.

1. System resources

AVG doesn't hog the resources that other antivirus programs do. I always hated how Norton and McAfee dug their claws into my system like sentinels at the gates. While that's great, it also slowed everything down. I'm sure if I had some super gaming computer, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But, given that I'd have to pay for them, I'll pass.

2. False Positives

AVG doesn't seem to be as jumpy as other antivirus programs. Antivir was bad about catching things that weren't viruses. While I'm glad the protection is there, I thought it was a little overkill. AVG seems to have just the right blend of catching and releasing.

3. Silent and Consistent Updates.

AVG has a silent update option where I never have to see the update screen or anything of the like. While some people might want to know everything that's going on, I don't want to be bothered with the distraction. If there's a problem, AVG will let me know. Transparent updates.... ahhh....

4. It's Free

Well, who wouldn't like something free? With all of the good antivirus offerings, who would pay for a brand name to do the same thing as a free product?

Conclusion

Now, I won't say that any of the other products are bad. In fact, each of them have some very strong traits; some overlapping with what I like about AVG. However, my overall experience with AVG has been more positive than with any other antivirus.

UPDATE: So, I've changed my mind. Why leave this post up here? Well, there's still some validity to what I said. Although I find the Comodo products much more appealing, there's nothing wrong per se with AVG.

Enjoy!

No comments: